Product Review: Open up your senses and learn more about Coffee with JJ Royal Coffee

1/16/2019

January had been brilliant, as I once again stepped out of my comfort zone. Christmas goes away and steps of CNY are quickly felt. I feel I had lost touched with the blogging world about 1/2 a year back when I decided to step down for a bit, and focus my time on my family and business. So one of the recent events that reconnected me to back with the blogging scene, is a private one-to-one coffee tasting session with Alisha, from JJ Royal Coffee. It felt like a great step out.

I was very hesitant when I received her coffee invitation (literally!) as I am more of a tea drinker. I now wonder why tea companies did not approach me? Like a smoker, I would only take coffee when I socialize. Sounds weird? I drink coffee only when I am around coffee drinkers so that it makes it easier when they had to meet at coffee places or sometimes when we need to share a cup of drink.

While I was filled with plenty of question marks on why I had received this invite, I thought that I should leverage on this and take it as an opportunity to learn more about coffee. My family mostly takes coffee and I am the only odd ball that prefers tea at home.




I was lightly brief about JJ Royal Coffee and the family business before I was told what was required of me for the coffee tasting session. Alisha (Lady in photo) shared that JJ Royal made Singapore their first stop, as they plan to launch internationally.



What is unique about JJ Royal coffee? If you looked closely at their cans you will notice that JJ Royal coffee mostly carries only single origin coffees. These include single-origin Arabica speciality coffees from the mountains of Toraja, Sumatra, Kayumas Java Estate, Aceh, Bali, Paua and Flores along with a range of highland Robustas.

JJ Royal coffee also carries the most exclusive 100% pure wild Luwak coffee (which I didn't get to try). Read till the end to find out what were my taste preference and find out what I've picked!



All their coffees are also halal-certified, triple-picked and ensured that every drip of JJ Royal Coffee is a delight. The Tin packaging is also used in Singapore and this makes it easier for storage and gifting.



Alisha then proceed to make me 5 cups of coffee using the dripping method, these coffee are preselected based on my taste preference. This is a blind taste so I totally would not know which coffee I was given to try or what their taste profile was. I was then given a taste sheet and taste wheel, where I can record down and try to describe on what I tried on.



Here are some observation and learning points I had during the tasting session:

* The coffee powder and the coffee may not smell the same after they are brewed so we should not determine if we like the coffee by smelling the coffee powder.

* The size of the coffee grind, water temperature which you brew the coffee, coffee brewing method, duration which your coffee grinds are stored, how long your coffee is left to sit, how long your coffee is brewed, affects the taste of the coffee. There are so many factors which may influence the taste of the coffee.

* The longer you brew the coffee, the more intense the caffeine level of the coffee. Shots and Expressos have lesser caffeine content compared to a tall glass of drip coffee.

* At different times when you taste the coffee, you may also feel differently. Today you may like this coffee, the next moment it may taste differently again although you are drinking the same coffee.




The team that works tireless behind JJ Royal Coffee ensures that each bean is triple picked and those that does not fit their criterial will be removed, therefore you can be assured that their taste are high quality and remain consistent from batch to batch, although no two cups of coffee can taste completely the same. JJ Royal Coffee carries Indonesia's best mountain coffee.


*****


I loved that JJ Royal Coffee were relatively easy to make at home using a coffee drip (for best and most accurate taste). You can also use an expresso machine, hand press or a French press depending on your preference and convenience. Besides, their price is relatively affordable and there are a variety of coffee to choose from.





The one coffee, which I strongly recommend is Papua as it has a chocolatey malted charred taste and lasting lingering after taste.

 I also liked Flores when I did the blind taste, however they did not bring it into the Singapore market to sell. Flores had subtle floral notes and tasted really light and unique. The one coffee which was most unforgettable during my blind taste was Toraja where I think it was also a popular choice amongst the public. Morning blend however would be most suitable for the masses if you are going to drink it with your family over breakfast as it tasted most neutral and had a good balance of acidity, it would be perfect with fresh milk too.




If you would love to get a tin to try, its retailing at $9.90 - $14.90 SGD (200g) per tin, they come in coffee beans and ground form. You are also encourage to visit https://sg.jjroyalcoffee.com/ to find out more about JJ Royal Coffee. 


To purchase directly from JJ Royal Coffee, visit https://sg.jjroyalcoffee.com/discount/Pearlywerkz to shop and enter "pearlywerkz" to get $5 off for a minimum spend of $25. You can also purchase their coffee from Tangs in Orchard, Red Mart and NTUC Finest.



A good cup of coffee should have a well balanced profile of acidity, beautiful aroma, unforgettable taste and most importantly good on its own (without milk or sugar). It shouldn't taste bitter, sour or dry. - Pearly Tan


For more snippets of me, beauty, fashion, lifestyle, food and product reviews do follow me on my social channels:

Pearlywerkz FB | Pearlywerkz IG | Pearlywerkz WWW

For collaboration, feedback, media coverage, and sponsorship opportunities,
please email me at: pearlywerkz@outlook.com



Disclaimer:
1) These products are presented to me by JJ Royal Coffee and Creative for More for the purpose of my review for this collaboration. Thank you for the informative Coffee Tasting session as well as the coffee.
2) All photographs on this site belongs to the property of Pearlywerkz unless otherwise credited.
3) Do ask for permission if you wish to utilize any of the photographs used on this site.
4) Review is 100% honest and based on personal experience.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Copyright 2011-2024