I am an eczema warrior X Suu Balm

10/01/2022

Hi, I am Pearly, an eczema warrior. You might have seen some of my #letsfighteczema content across my social media channels. If you have not, here is your chance to find out more about me as I am about to share with you, my story! 



I have been battling with eczema, which is also commonly known as atopic dermatitis, all my life. You might have heard about the itch-scratch syndrome faced by an eczema warrior, well that happens to me too. Scratching leads to a broken wound which is not only nasty looking, it keeps people away from you. Your broken skin slowly gets dried up, turn flaky, and start to peel again. When it gets itchy, you have to resist the urge to scratch. They termed this as the itch-scratch cycle, as it goes on and never ends. The resistance to scratch gets harder at night, because when the mind starts to wander off, you tend to focus only on the itch. I, term myself as an eczema warrior because like many others, I have to battle this condition all day, all year and probably all my life. "Stop scratching and go to sleep already!" I have to constantly tell myself every night, as I fight the urge to scratch and try to get some sleep, in the hopes that I do not have to wake up to the small patches of blood-stained sheets from my scratching at night.  How I envy people, who can have quality sleep, without having to wake up and scratch. The itch gets so bad that it keeps me up on some really humid nights.

As someone growing up with eczema, I so often have to deal with the nasty remarks of my peers about how unpleasant and unhygienic my skin looked. As they were not educated about eczema, they often think that my weeping wounds would be contagious. Not only were their words hurtful, but my exposed wounds were painful as well. I was afraid to face the public with my raw skin. This had resulted in me hiding my wounds and scars under long pieces of clothing. I also had to wear thick make-up to cover the redness and peeling on my face. Somedays, I would keep myself at home, away from mirrors and from weird stares.

Over my growing up years, I could recall my tireless mum returning home from work each time with a different sensitive skin lotion, cream or soak and instructing me to try them, in the hopes that something out there will work. I was very lucky to be blessed with a very supportive mother who loved me unconditionally and had not given up on me over the years. She was always there when I needed emotional support. With her support and encouragement that things will get better, I eventually got better, and also learnt to manage my skin condition. We have tried to treat my eczema with different types of medication, steroid creams prescribed by doctors and traditional Chinese medicine (TCM).  I tried saltwater soaks, sea water soaks, antiseptic solution baths and essential oil baths. I also consumed traditional Chinese medical powders, herbs, detoxing, skin-healing herbal soups of all sorts. The worst experience I could recall of, was getting my wounds smoked with an incense stick in a TCM treatment, as a way of treating them.

Eventually, I did get better. I can now manage it and share my #letsfighteczema story with you.  I hope my story can inspire you, and my skincare tips can help fellow eczema warriors better manage their conditions. Know that people with eczema is very common nowadays! It is not a rare disease, and you should not be ashamed of it. See a skin doctor and get medicated if you need, stay strong, remain positive, and it will get better if you persist. To help you, here are the top 5 from my personal skincare tips which will be useful for your eczema skincare journey. #YouAreNotAlone


1) Keep calm and keep your lifestyle balanced. Itchy or not, life has to go on. Always keep yourself calm as you will feel itchy when your mind is less occupied, stressed and full of anxiety. I do this by filling up my days with light-hearted activities, simple to follow indoor exercises, short outdoor walks, occasional swims, listening to soothing music and spending quality time with my family. You do not have to hide away just because of your wounds, embrace them and accept that they are what makes you, YOU! I now call them my battle wound and I wear what I like without focusing on hiding my wounds. Singapore is hot all year round, and I definitely would prefer to be in my short sleeve shirts and shorts. My exposed wounds still do constantly make conversation starters, but I have learnt to embrace them now.


2) Keep your skin clean and free of perspiration.  As an eczema warrior, it is important to maintain your hygiene levels at tip-top, because you do not want your wounds to flare up and to risk any bacterial infection. Do this by taking short cool showers to prevent skin dryness and use only a bodywash that helps you maintain your skin's moisture levels. Gently pat dry your skin after showers. Go for products which contain moisturising ingredients and those that are free from skin nasties such as sulphates, parabens, preservatives and fragrances. One great product is the Suu Balm Cooling & Moisturising Cream Body Wash . Other than containing 5 different types of moisturising ingredients such as shea butter and sodium hyaluronate, their body wash is free from all the skin nasties and have a rich, minty, creamy texture, which makes me feel clean and refreshed after my shower. It also heartens me to know that they are a Singapore brand and I get to support a local brand. Go for a similar type nasties-free hair shampoo, or you could use one suitable for your sensitive scalp. I have learned from a doctor that the shampoo that flows down to our skin during a shower, might affect our skin condition too.



3) Avoid allergens that worsens your itch. Without knowing the cause of your eczema, it is very difficult to help yourself feel better. Observe the triggers that makes your skin flare. These can come from food items like nuts, gluten and seafood. They can also be a change in weather condition like hotter days, an increase in rainfall to even the slightest increase in flower pollens during certain seasons. I get flare ups from the dust of a nearby renovation work too. Try to keep yourself away from these. Keep the air-purifier on to help you minimize environmental allergens found in the air, or at the least, keep your windows and doors closed. 


4) Face your eczema and learn to take control of it. Although eczema is not curable, you can take control of it by moisturising your skin as often as possible to prevent skin dryness, cracks and flakiness. Use products that help to keep your skin soothe, moisturised and protected. I have been using Suu Balm Rapid Itch Relief Moisturiser since 2017, and I am a supporter since. One great tip is to keep them within reach in each of your rooms, so that you easily reach out when you need them. I am a fan of Suu Balm Rapid Itch Relief Moisturiser because of their unique formulation, they contain menthol for that quick itch-relief which I need. I get my itch relief within mere minutes of application which no other brands can come close to. It also contains 5 types of skin-identical ceramides, to help keep my skin moisturised all day long. Their products are free from steroid, so I use them as freely and as frequently as I desire. I carry their sample packs or travel-sized tubes when I travel too. 

5) Keep yourself constantly hydrated! Water is life! Drink plenty of water, moderate amounts of fruit juice, and have nutritional soups often. They key is to stay hydrated and healthy! Minimize carbonated, sugary drinks. Consume vegetables and fruits which are high in antioxidants and vitamin C to strengthen your body's defense from infections and diseases. As we have a weakened skin barrier, we should always keep in mind to protect ourselves by keeping healthy.


I hope my article had been both insightful and inspiring! Feel free to reach me at my IG @pearlywerkz should you have any enquiries. For mothers taking care of their children with eczema, kudos to you for the hard work. I know how tiring it must had been for you to constantly care for your children just like how my mother had been caring for me. For adults dealing with eczema, stay strong, have a positive mind and have faith that everything will get better! 

Meanwhile, you may wish to find out more about the mentioned Suu Balm products here. Suu Balm products are also available for purchase at major retailers such as Guardian, Watsons, Unity, and official Suu Balm stores on Shopee, Lazada and Qoo10

For all my readers, enjoy 20% off regular priced items (not valid for scalp spray) when you apply "PEARLY20" during check-out. Valid only on their e-store, till 31 October 2022. You may wish to take this opportunity to stock up so be sure to act fast! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Copyright 2011-2024