What to buy at Scarlett Supermarket 思家客 - Snacks Edition

2/16/2023

Scarlett Supermarket 思家客 had been in Singapore since 2020. They started out with their first flagship store in Chinatown, Trengganu Street. Today, you can find an outlet in most of the neighbourhood mall. The ones located in popular regions are usually bigger with household items, daily essentials, food, snacks and drinks and carries most of the items. While the ones within the neighborhood are small shops usually only carrying the more common food items. They have a total of 14 stores island-wide now. 

What is interesting about them is that you'll find most of the trending China snacks there. I've been wanting to share with you about my personal experience after having tried out some of their food, snacks and drinks so here goes! It is easy to get influenced by the mainland dramas as they tend to do lots of product placements within their drama series and variety shows if you have noticed carefully. They make me curious and wanting to try! 

Some snack brands that they carry include Wei-Long, Da Li Yuan, Xian Ge, Liang Pin Pu Zi, Lay's, Hai Chi Jia, V-Loong, Sha Er Ge, Lao Jie Kou, Chao Ba Ye, and more. 

Let's start off with the snacks we've tried! Below is the list of snacks that me/my family have tried. The items here are randomly listed in no particular order of my/my family's preference.  If you are one lost deer and the first time in Scarlett Supermarket, I certainly hope that this list will come in useful for you!


#1 Wei Long Hongkong-style egg biscuits 

We first tried this because of its fancy packaging and resemblance to the Hong Kong Street snack which I loved. They also happened to be having a promotion. I love the egg fragrance that this snack gives off and the crunchy biscuit texture. They are available in 2 flavors, original and banana. We have only tried the original. I would recommend you try this as it is quite nice as a biscuit snack! 


These nuts do not only look colorful, but they taste great too! I love the crunchy exterior crust that wraps the nuts within it. They taste sweet rather than salty and resembles the Japanese nuts with seaweed that we used to eat when we were kids. I can easily finish this bottle of nuts by myself! Must try and makes a great TV snack!

#3 Wei Long Konjac Jelly Snack (Assorted Flavors)

I know some are huge fans of this konjac jelly snack, unfortunately they are not for me. It is chewy in texture with spicy flavourings. There seems to be different flavours for this, but I personally couldn't stand the mala oil smell on the snack, which seems to taste a little weird. They have different packaging and forms of the same snack.


They are available in assorted flavors, but we only tried the original. I last saw these in the neighborhood's Value Dollar shop as well. These are like the smaller versions of 旺旺雪饼, the salty version and make great snacks. The only issue I have is that there are very little in very small packs, so I finish them very quickly. 


Another of those waffle-like biscuits. These are individually packed and are great as snacks but nothing really special. I would only repurchase them because they look cute! We tried the original for this and feel that they are too sweet for our liking. Ai Xiang Qin had one which looked similar. 

#6 Xian Ge Pian Pian Cui (Assorted)

We tried 3 versions of this snack, the tomato, spicy and seaweed. Bought this to try as they seemed quite affordable, and I was thinking that nothing would go wrong with a crunchy spicy snack. This snack proved me wrong. The spicy one has a slight numbing ma-la taste, and the snack was so oily that when I tried to seal it in my zip-lock bag, all the oil oozed out of the bag making a big mess. The taste was also quite weird together with the smell of the chili oil. We didn't manage to finish it. They have many versions and different flavorings for this snack, but I personally am not a big fan of any of these. If you are dying to try, take the seaweed or tomato one which tasted nothing fancy as well. These 2 are sweet tasting in general. I will not recommend this snack.

#7 Chaobaye Gultinous Rice Twist (Original, salted egg, Mala spicy)

This is one of my favorite childhoods snacks and I am so thankful that Scarlett Supermarket is selling them! Our local braids are much thicker and harder to bite on, but these ones are so easy to eat. They are made really thin and crispy. We tried both the original and salted egg ones. Both are good but I personally prefer the original one. This is a must-try if you love braid biscuits!

#8 Uncle Yu, Deep Sea Seafood Snack (Prawn Ball, Scallop, Crabstick etc)

Bought these to try as they were on promotion! We tried the scallop, prawn ball and crabstick. Each big pack has about 4-5 small packs of snacks in them. They come in different flavors like black pepper, ma-la and original. Initially I thought they'll make a good beer or porridge snack but after eating more of them, it seems like they have a strong plastic, rubber taste. I wouldn't want to eat them again for sure thou I feel that it was quite innovative to sell something like this and their packaging looks so good just like an article in a magazine!  I would not recommend this snack.


I bet everyone who tries this for the first time will not stop until they are finished! They have real peppercorns and dried chili flakes in them. The peanut itself taste crunchy, oily and satisfying. It used to have some mala taste to them, but they seem to taste milder now. Peanut lovers should definitely try them! This is one snack that we kept repurchasing.

#10 Da Li Yuan Bo Xiao Luo Bun

We loved the idea of the individually wrapped Bo Luo Bun in these. They do resemble the ones we get from the bakery. For their price, I think they are quite reasonable but do not expect the same quality and freshness which you get from the bakery! Overall, they are still worth a try and makes a great teatime snack!


I couldn't really remember the flavour we tried. I think it was yoghurt which turned out to be like a custard filling. It's not bad for its texture but nothing stood out for this waffle bread. 

#12 Hua Wei Heng Fried Flour-Coated Peanut

By now you may probably notice how much I love peanuts. Bought this to try as the Chao Ba Ye version was not available. This is a different brand and taste plainer in comparison, but they are still good and crispy!

#13 Hong Tu Yam Chips (assorted flavors)

These are one of those snacks that made me very curious to try because of its pillow like packaging. The chips are made from yam, so they supposed to be much healthier compared to potato chips, but they are very thin and really crispy. We have only tried the tomato flavored one which tasted decent. You should try this at least once.


Tips on choosing snacks/Shopping in Scarlett Supermarket
✔ Not all products are available in all outlets, shop at their larger outlets for a higher chance to get what you want.
✔ Prices from their online Shoppe store and retail supermarket differs. Retail outlet usually have better rates but shopping online entities you to cashback and you make use of platform vouchers to offset part of your purchase cost.
✔Scarlett Supermarket runs promotions quite frequently, take this chance to try out new snacks and stock up on your favourite snacks.
✔Snacks in their store can sometimes be found from other online retailers or supermarket a cheaper price. 
✔For the less adventurous souls, go for snacks that are bread, biscuits or crispy items. I personally feel that their braised, soft food can be quite oily. They usually have a distinct smell or plastic taste.
 ✔Most of their snacks comes in assorted flavor. When in doubt, always choose the safe choice like original, salted egg yolk, or tomato. I would advise against going for the ma-la unless you are an absolute ma-la lover.


They have many other snacks in store that we have yet to try so feel free to give them a try if you are curious enough. I hope you have an idea on what to shop for now! Do drop me an email/DM on IG to let me know which ones you've tried, love, disliked or to recommend me something else to try!

Have you checked out their food and drinks too?


For more information:
Click on the link to find out more on their official website: Scarlett Supermarket.
Shop them directly from Shopee. 
Click here for their store locations!

For more snippets of me, beauty, fashion, lifestyle, food and product reviews do follow me on my social channels: Pearlywerkz FB | Pearlywerkz IG | Pearlywerkz WWW

For collaboration, feedback, media coverage, and sponsorship opportunities, please email me at: pearlywerkz@outlook.com.

Disclaimer:
1)This article contains a personal and honest review by Pearly of Pearlywerkz on Scarlett Supermarket snacks. I am in no way sponsored with any items above. All of them are bought with my own money.
2)This review is 100% honest and based on my personal experience.
3)All photographs on this site belongs to the property of Scarlett Supermarket.
4)Please do not take the photos on my web and use them as your own.
5)Do ask for permission if you wish to utilize any of my photographs.
6)Please refrain from plagiarism as it is not ethical.
7)I have hyperlinked each item which allows you to make a direct purchase via Shopee. As I am a Shopee affiliate, by purchasing of some of these items, I may be getting a small fee from your purchase, but this comes at no cost to you.  
8) Items linked may have product packaging differing from the ones shown or may be from an alternate store other than Scarlett Supermarket. Items not linked could be out of stock at point of update/article publish.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Copyright 2011-2024